Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:02 PM

Came across this today.

this guy uses a flex tube for steaming his sticks for straightening

its a useful method if you have several sticks to straighten but for a odd one or two the heat gun is quicker

Attached Thumbnails

• stick straightening.jpg

#2 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

That looks like a good way to steam your sticks, thanks for shareing.

#3 Rodnogdog

Rodnogdog

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

The steam pot looks like a wall paper steamer/stripper. Clever idea.

#4 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

it is a wallpaper stripper, handy when you have a few to do

#5 Rodnogdog

Rodnogdog

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:00 AM

I just happen to have one

#6 norson

norson

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

Straightening? THAT has never occurred to me. To date I've completed (not bragging!) 75 canes . . . some of them were "more crooked than a dog's leg" - and I've always considered that a nice and unique feature.

So I have a question. If you use heat or steam to straighten a branch/limb what happens when it dries or cools off? Seems to me, it might return to it's natural form.

PLEASE enlighten this OLD geezer.

Thanx

-neb

Attached Thumbnails

• 012 RYLAND JUL 2013 (2).jpg

#7 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

You can only straighten a stick if its seasoned, otherwise it will revert to its natural state in time. And if seasoned it will stay straight after the process.If its oiled regularly it should last a lifetime

if you use a stick that has a dogleg in it , its not safe for the purpose it was intended for.and would not give the support for the person it was intended for .

Although people don't put there full weight on a stick those that need a stick for walking and use it for a lot for carrying there weight need a straight and a slightly flexible stick for safety

A commercial stick maker would never use a bent stick for this reason.

I know that a lot of American stick makers say that it gives a stick character if it bent ,but these should be used for decorative purposes and not as a walking aid.

English stick makers take a different approach and wouldn't use a stick that they couldn't straighten or has a dog leg in it., particularly if it was a competition or for a walking aid.

I personally wouldn't use a bent stick and discard any I cant straighten. And you cant straighten a stick if there's a knot where its bent

The majority of sticks used here are around 1 inch in diameter anything larger than say 1.5 inches anything larger than that I would consider clumsy to use and to heavy depending on the wood used. I don't use anything over 1.25inches diameter

I harvest my stick myself mostly hazel they grow reasonable straight and considered to amongst the best for a walking / hiking sticks.these are usually seasoned for 2 years

You  take a different approach in the States and a lot boils down to personnel taste

Edited by cobalt, 26 September 2015 - 12:06 PM.

• norson likes this

#8 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

As cobalt said a straight stick is a a safer stick. Some times I  have a really nice looking stick that i did not season tied to some thing to keep it straight. When it dried it had a bend that made it impracticable for a cane or walking stick an  straightening it makes it a usable stick. 

• cobalt likes this

#9 Black Thorn

Black Thorn

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire England

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

Ah ha ! You found my steamer Cobalt! After much trial and error I found this method to be the most successful. I did try guttering pipe but it melted. I got the metal base from a local scrap yard for £5 ( $8), and the aluminium tube for about £10. The wallpaper steamer pipe is connected at the base with holes for drainage.After about 30 minutes it's ready for straightening, I can normally do 6 at a time using this method. More at my Facebook page "Shiresticks"
Agree with you about the difference with UK and The Americas sticks, I would consider using anything more than 1.5 " in diameter.

#10 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

I didn't realise that you where English, but haven't seen you on the sight much.

It s a handy piece of kit if you have  a few pieces to do. I will have to check your site out.

I am a big fan of rams horn market sticks consider then the best  and hoping to get into it myself  when I get the kit to do it.

You say your from the shires which one ?you can usually tell which country people are from by looking at there sticks but your pic doesn't give much  clues but leaning towards European

Edited by cobalt, 28 September 2015 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users