8 replies to this topic

#1 nameless

nameless

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

Before I put this beauty on ebay, I'll show it here and see...

The 'light' wood is aged hickory, carved by me (I made it).

The bronze eagle with one 'red' (glass) eye, top sits on a manzanita root that I dug nearby. Color is natural! Grain is as you see, wondrous!

All attached with steel threaded rod and epoxy! Solid!

The lower portion is wrapped, over hickory, with jute twine, for 'grip' if you need to swing this cane like a club!

It is a heavy, powerful piece, unique, one of a kind!

Oh, the foot is an iron bird's claw with steel rod inset for wear and tear and, if need be, a nasty spike with which to be jabbed!

A fine sculptural item that you need no excuse to 'fondle/carry' and an earth-shaking weapon if needed.

Not for the 'tiny'. it is suitably weighted for it's martial application, if needed!

A beautiful bone 'protector/breaker'! *__-

Certainly an item of notice and comments!

Some pix;

Eagleheadentire.jpg

Eagleheadcanehandledetail.jpg

Eagleheadmanzanitagrain.jpg

Eagleheadcarving.jpg

Eagleheadcaneferrule.jpg

Hmmm, how much?

I am open to barter.

I do like to barter for cash, but I do have a weakness for the 'exotic/different'..

Cash-wise, I'd say that I can keep it off ebay for $200. + S&H

Let me know if interested.

peace

• CAS14 likes this

#2 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

What is the length, top to bottom?

Thanks

#3 nameless

nameless

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

What is the length, top to bottom?

Thanks

Later in the day, I KNEW that I missed that! Sorry...

Top to tip is; 35 3/4".

Head is; 3 1/2" tall x 2 1/4" wide x back of head to tip of beak is 3 3/4 long.

Spike on bottom is 5/16" thick.

Top of manzanita is about 3 1/2" diameter. Bottom is almost 1 1/2" diameter. 3 1/16" long.

Carving is 10" long.

Peace

Edited by nameless, 14 June 2013 - 05:58 AM.

#4 gdenby

gdenby

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana, aka "Michiana"

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm jealous of your skill. I've heard of manzanita, but there is none where I live. It qualifies as a gem wood, as far as I'm concerned. And, you gave it an appropriate finish. But the hickory work is what I really like. Well done for such a hard wood. I have one piece, and after chipping just at the bark, I am wondering how I will deal w. the wood itself.

Thanks for the offer here. I'll pass, as looking at it, makes me realize how much practice I need in too few years. 

• CAS14 likes this

#5 nameless

nameless

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'm jealous of your skill. I've heard of manzanita, but there is none where I live. It qualifies as a gem wood, as far as I'm concerned. And, you gave it an appropriate finish. But the hickory work is what I really like. Well done for such a hard wood. I have one piece, and after chipping just at the bark, I am wondering how I will deal w. the wood itself.

Thanks for the offer here. I'll pass, as looking at it, makes me realize how much practice I need in too few years. 

Thank you for the very kind words.

That manzanita grows all over the place here. It is said to grow where no plant of 'value' will dare to root! It is a crooked and warped wood. While 'living', the bark is red! Wood is predominately yellowish... 

The time that it is ready for me, it is dead and grey and weathered, scarred and cracked on the outside, and the most stunning colors and beauty within...

Somehow, that resonates with me... *__-

It can take quite the sized root to get the smallest useable piece that is solid enough to work! This piece is truly a rare gem!

The hickory wasn't a sapling, it is an old RR spike hammer handle. HARD!

I carved it with my pocket knife and a small gouge, in places.

People ask me how long to carve these, but only certain people understand when I respond with a 'blister count'!

The stuff is harder than rock (ok, 'some' rocks..), but that carving isn't going to get worn down, at least not while my 300 year warranty is still active! heh And probably a hundred times that, if kept out of the burning places...

"

I have one piece, and after chipping just at the bark, I am wondering how I will deal w. the wood itself.

"

~~~ Slowly, my friend, slowly... *__-

Edited by nameless, 14 June 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#6 Paul2281

Paul2281

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationGainesville,FL.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Nice work brother...You sir are an artist....

#7 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

I made one cane from a hickory sapling. I left the bark on and let it dry for over a year. Just trying to cut the bark was an adventure. The wood is crazy hard, and heavy!

Nice job for a martial cane. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that one! More like a war club than a cane. :-)

• Paul2281 likes this

#8 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

The eagle head reminds me of a project that the Northeast Oklahoma Woodcarvers Association began some years ago, and it has spread across the nation.  They carve canes with eagle head toppers for wounded warriors.  I saw some at a recent show - they are awesome, as is this one.

Hopefully, the need for that wounded warriors effort will diminish in the coming years.

#9 Creation Carvings

Creation Carvings

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSparta, MO

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

You can find many of my carvings by following my links in my signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users