21 replies to this topic

#1 Lol999

Lol999

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

Used my Axminster carving vise on two occasions now and I'm seriously unhappy with it to the point I'm ringing them and sending it back. It has a horizontal rotate which is locked off using a bar, but no matter how hard I tighten it, and I'm an ex-weight lifter @ 6'3", it spins loose, especially when using a mallet.

In England we don't exactly have a great selection of vises that can be attached to my aluminium step up bench, the Veritas is one but it doesn't quite convince me, so I'm in a bit of a fix. Axminster have just released this version which is a copy of the Narex one which is a copy of one at Dick Fine Tools which our carving club leader uses but I'm still unsure.

http://www.axminster...er-vice-102627/

Any suggestions on one that can be permanently fixed?

#2 Lol999

Lol999

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:33 PM

In fact, I'm not sure I'm a relief carver, I think I'd just like to do some good walking stick handles, so if anyone has a suggestion for a good topper vise I'd appreciate it.

I have found this which has promise:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001HBS0I0

Edited by Lol999, 10 August 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#3 Stickie

Stickie

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationBerkshire UK

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

As I said before make your own

#4 Lol999

Lol999

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

Ah Sitckie my love, if only were so simple! Well actually it probably is but I think I have a solution so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

#5 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:22 PM

I hope they make it right for you.  Nothing more frustrating than a tool that doesn't do the job it's designed for.  Don't give up on carving just because of a faulty vise.

Rodney

#6 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:08 AM

I use a record vice I bought a couple of years ago never had a problem with it.
The hobby vice your looking at , I would have thought it flimsy and doubt it would stand up for using a mallet and chisels ,
I would try ebay but get a good carvers vice. I do have a vice similar to the one your looking at it isn't up to the job for use as a carving vice .It has been handy for a few odd jobs but never use it for carving
But as stickie said it isn't difficult to make one ,plans are available for them on the net

#7 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:00 AM

This may be of some help It is a detail plan for a relief carving bench.

http://www.wwwoodcar...vingbench.html 

I have this vise and I believe it is the best vise I have ever had. I have it attached to a block of wood that lets me clamp it any where.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQi3dBMsoxc 

Edited by CV3, 12 August 2016 - 01:07 AM.

#8 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:26 AM

As stated I use the Record one, purchased after seeing othe carving club members use them for their portability and gigidness, and UK made, see attachment.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 08.06.12.png

#9 Lol999

Lol999

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

@ Rodney - Axminster are a good company who accepted the return without  question and will be refunding my money next week.

@ Cobalt - well for £15 I just ordered the thing as it will come I useful when doing bits of diy at home. I certainly wouldn't use a mallet on it but a guy at the club uses one I'm sure for his toppers when he does chisel only work.

@ CV3 - the Eli vise looks great but is just a little out of my league financially these days!

@ Gloops - yes I have seen those and it may happen. On another forum a carver suggested an engineers vice with swivel base, which has possibilities especially when coupled with the Stanley vice if it is any good for ME!

Here's the thing though, years ago I was a vaguely and slightly known  street photographer/photo journalist, but until I arrived at that genre of photography I tried many different forms, and thus it may be with carving.

​One thing I know is I cannot do any mallet work at home, the only place I can work is in the entrance hall and it echoes through the house and makes me unpopular! I do need however to  carve some handles and toppers for my sticks which for the most part I will be able to do "by hand", certainly not requiring the bosting out of large chunks of wood from some relief carving.

I'm going to take the heat out of the equation by going to carving club this week and just chatting to the stick guys and thinking just where I want to go and need to go with it, then I will make a decision on what to buy.
Thanks for all your input gents, as always there are many ways to skin a cat, but the main thing is we have a good chat and share some knowledge and opinions.

​Cheers, Lol

Edited by Lol999, 12 August 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#10 Stickie

Stickie

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationBerkshire UK

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

http://www.tiranti.c...Holding Devices

This is a proper carving vice will take mallet work
But you can easily make one ive had this for 20years plus some

image.jpeg

Edited by Stickie, 12 August 2016 - 08:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users