• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

http://www.tiranti.c...Holding Devices

This is a proper carving vice will take mallet work
But you can easily make one ive had this for 20years plus some

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It's a grand bit of kit Stickie but I haven't got the thick part of £200! I'll arrive at a solution eventually, and thanks for your input.

#12 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:47 AM

Hi, I hear what you say about hand carving toppers, this is my preferred method and did mainly knife carving and even though using Lime I do occasionally come up against a large internal "knot" these are very hard and dangerous for a knife and therefore have to fit to revert to the carving vice used outside mounted on my workmate which I straddle for stability when using mallet and chisels, or alternatively as I have learned with age - use a dremmel, Foredom etc. as can also be used outside and in hand. ( spend most of the summer months at the caravan so all carving during this period is done outside). happy vice hunting. ps the little yellow Stanley one is only good for light work.

• Lol999 likes this

#13 Lol999

Lol999

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:29 AM

Hi, I hear what you say about hand carving toppers, this is my preferred method and did mainly knife carving and even though using Lime I do occasionally come up against a large internal "knot" these are very hard and dangerous for a knife and therefore have to fit to revert to the carving vice used outside mounted on my workmate which I straddle for stability when using mallet and chisels, or alternatively as I have learned with age - use a dremmel, Foredom etc. as can also be used outside and in hand. ( spend most of the summer months at the caravan so all carving during this period is done outside). happy vice hunting. ps the little yellow Stanley one is only good for light work.

Morning Gloops, yeah the little Stanley vice arrived yesterday and it's a nobby little thing, as they say. I would not expect to use it for mallet work but I've seen one used for holding a topper being shaped with palm gouges and sanding so it will have its uses somewhere, and at £15 it's not the end of the world.

• Gloops likes this

#14 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

Have you had a look at this?  It might get you by until you can get a better one.

http://walkingstickf...6-carving-vise/

Rodney

#15 Lol999

Lol999

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hi Rodney, I'll have a refund from Axminster by next Wednesday so then it's just a matter of choosing another one. I'm very tempted by the Record Power that Gloops uses, I think it will do everything that I want for both toppers and some small shallow relief stuff. It's a good price which leaves more cash for some decent chisels.

#16 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

I use the same vice as gloops been happy with it .Its handy to clamp to the bench and take it out the way when finished .
  • Lol999 likes this

#17 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hi Lol999,

When making toppers be it a carving or more standard type , crook cardigan etc. my first job after cutting the blank is to glue the studding joint rod in. this gives me something to hold in a vice, on the carving vice I opened up one of the mounting holes to 8mm (my std studding dia). which allows me to mount the blank to the carvers vice ( a piece of sacrificial wood is fitted twixt the two to prevent chisel damage) using a nut and spanner or wing nut if space allows.

A simple alternative to a carvers vice is a length of 2x1 with a 8mm hole, the topper can be fitted to this with a wing nut, then held in a standard vice an thus can be put into any orientation for working on.

#18 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:40 PM

I do almost the same thing as Gloops. But I  cut out some scrap of 3/4 inch plywood to fit the mounting plate, leaving a tag of one side to mount the topper to then skew it ti the plate.My vice cam with 2 mounting plates so I use the small one just for toppers.    

IMG_3699.JPG

• Gloops likes this

#19 Lol999

Lol999

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

Welll I took the plunge today and collected a Record vise same as Gloops and Cobalt use. I got it for the bargain price of £30, I've seen it at £60 and more elsewhere and whilst the proof of the pudding is in the carving I have to say it looks and feels sturdy enough for what I want at this stage.

• Gloops likes this

#20 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

It will serve you well .I am happy with mine.

I have just bought a set of marple chisels for £9 of EBay they just nee tidying up and should be ideal detail carving chisels

• Lol999 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users