#11 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

The best way to hunt for tools of all makes shapes and sizes inc 2nd hand ones is to visit the shows, I go to the Northern Woodworking Show at Harrogate show ground in November a great place for diversity of equipment , Demonstrators of all genres wood, and suppliers, manufacturers of all types of equipment. All of the people there are approachable and open to answering  questions on all topics. But be warned, save up as you always see what you want and more besides.

Check it out on the web, get the list of exhibitors and then check their range of products.

#12 Lol999

Lol999

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

Well I dipped my toe in the pond today and ordered three Pfeil, a large #3 for flattening (#2 on Pfeil list), a #9 for stock removal and a 10mm 60 degree V tool for outlining etc. These will get me started on my next carving, and by next week especially seeing as it's my birthday I hope to have some more cash to get a few more as I need them.

#13 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

I think when most people start most buy cheap tools always a mistake

You dont know what you raeally want unitl you start carving .and then this is oftern determined by your subect matter and if you like hand tools or power carving

They often go hand in hand.

just start with what you have and buy odd ones as you need them. The majority of carvers have drawful of tools which are never used

I have about three dozen chisels and probably just use about 8 of then mostly

I would recommend a few good rasps

#14 Lol999

Lol999

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:09 PM

I plan to get a rasp or two. I know some folks go for the shinto ones but microplane look quite good.

#15 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 19 August 2016 - 10:26 PM

I have both ,another boys toy but prefer the shinto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users