• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chiricahua Jack

Chiricahua Jack

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

I went to see this walking stick advertised for sale locally. It is not signed or marked by the carver. I couldn't tell what kind of wood it carved from. The diameter at the grip is pretty big but the stick is very light weight. If anyone is interested in contacting the seller I would be happy to provide those details. I have no connection to the seller and am not interested in purchasing the stick.

What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#2 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

Nice stick!  The exterior looks similar to basswood, which is very lightweight.  But unless the interior is stained, it isn't.  I picked up four basswood sticks at a woodcarver's convention in Tulsa and a diamond willow, all pretty cheap, about a month ago.  If my carving skill improves sufficiently, I'll attempt carving on those basswood sticks. 

I hope to learn how to color different woods from the folks at the local woodcarving club.  I have begun to attend some of their Thursday evening "carve-ins."

• Chiricahua Jack likes this

#3 Chiricahua Jack

Chiricahua Jack

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

I would say you are probably correct in identifying this as basswood. Most of the detail in the face appears to have been brought out by staining; details such as the headdress and beads are brought out by painting. The stick has then been coated with what appears to be a glossy urethane. I think a satin or low gloss urethane would have looked better. The thin black band under the chin is just a string or lanyard holding the stick up for display, and these are the sellers pictures.

Basswood makes me think of Monkey Pod; Monkeywood as we used to call it; which always makes me think of Pier One Imports. But as they say: YMMV.

#4 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Basswood is also extremely soft, which is what makes it so good for carving, but lousy for any amount of wear. 

My wife's sister actually had kitchen cabinets made out of basswood. You can only imagine what they looked like after just a few years of normal wear. What an incredibly horrible idea.  My kitchen cabinets are made out of hickory. Not an aesthetic everyone would like, but we do and they will wear like iron. (better, probably)

A basswood stick would be fine for a display piece, but wouldn't hold up too well for regular use. 

#5 stixman

stixman

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Would it be OK to list walking sticks that I make for sale here?

#6 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Would it be OK to list walking sticks that I make for sale here?

I think that this is the most appropriate place for such things.  The owner of the website set this area up for that purpose, I believe.

#7 cchgn

cchgn

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

IMO, I have never thought about selling any of my work( not good enought, I reckon)......but then, I dont see how I could, the sitck picks the person,,,,lol

#8 stixman

stixman

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

I used to keep all the walking sticks I made also, but the wife started to complain after I made too many.

Now I sell them on my little web site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users