#1 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:31 PM

I spent a good part of today on tool maintenance. Greased the shafts of my rotary tools. tuned up the edges on the chisels. Had to redo the edge on 3 palm tools. They had some micro chips along the cutting edge. Happens when I try and take too deep a cut in the hard woods I use. I have had big chips and had to regrind a whole new edge. The higher Rockwell rated tools can be a bit brittle. Cleaned and gave every thing a light coat of oil. Rust is always a issue in our high humidity. I try and do a general fix and clean twice a year. should be good tell spring.

#2 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:43 AM

A good way to go, shoudl probably check all my tools out for any work required, re the light oiling, many years a go one of the uncles who was a joiner in the building industry thus outside working, gave me the tip to use candle wax ie rub a candle on the tools not only does it protect it does not stain hands, clothing, materials etc, the added advantage is if used on saws  it acts as a lubricant when sawing as friction melts it. This advice was given when he was doing a job for me and I asked what the candles were for in his toolbox.

#3 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

I use paste wax on my cast iron machine tables.

I need to take the time and sharpen my chisels.

Rodney

#4 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:28 PM

I also use candle wax mainly on the saw , it certainly helps using it.

• Gloops likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users