http://www.cherokeep...27/article.aspx

#2 NightKnight

NightKnight

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Osage Orange is such a pretty wood. If you find some good sticks, let's see them! :)
  • CAS14 likes this

#3 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Found a website by a guy who makes bows and sells staves for making bows.  The link is shown, and a few of his comments that may be applicable to working the wood for a walking stick or a slingshot. 

http://www.osagestaves.com/

There are many good books on making bows and we recommend you please read what you can before you work the Osage Orange.Al Herrin's book "CHEROKEE BOWS AND ARROWS" is one of the best.Jim Hamm,Dean Torges,and Paul Comstock are other authors of great books of archery.

...WARNING!...WARNING!...WARNING!...WARNING!...

The Osage is a wood that tests the patience of your character.It is the King of bow woods and it knows it.If you have made Bows before but not from Osage Orange this will be a new experience...THIS WOOD CAN TEST YOUR SKILLS AND THE SKILLS YOU THINK YOU HAVE!...There is no guarantee that you will be successful on your first try with the Osage Orange.Many have had more than one attempt to get the Osage Bow built to their liking.It is a very hard wood and can also be hard to work.

Osage Orange loves to grow twisted,crooked,and full of limbs.Finding good quality Bow Staves is very diffucult.Getting a straight Stave,excellent growth ring pattern and few limb knots is very time consuming and even then getting all three wood issues at the same time is rare.All of our Osage Staves are carefully selected as best we can to help provide you good wood.We try to match the Osage Stave to you by asking many questions about your Bowmaking experience.We want you to have a pleasant Bowmaking experience.

But once you master it and become one with the wood you have then reached one of the highest levels of bow making.

#4 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

HOWEVER - these are staves that have been cut, and you would have to turn them.  Sorry, I didn't think of that immediately!

Found a website by a guy who makes bows and sells staves for making bows.  The link is shown, and a few of his comments that may be applicable to working the wood for a walking stick or a slingshot. 

http://www.osagestaves.com/

#5 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

A coworker says she might have some on her place.  She just called her son-in-law who lives across the road and he said he thought so.  He's going to look for one I can cut on, if I'll make him a slingshot.  Pretty good deal, I'd say.  He was joking, but I will make him one.  Now, if I can just get a good fork for a slingshot and a good straight limb for a walking stick!  Fingers crossed.

#6 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

Found a website by a guy who makes bows and sells staves for making bows.  The link is shown, and a few of his comments that may be applicable to working the wood for a walking stick or a slingshot.  http://www.osagestaves.com/ 

I called the guy. These staves that are made for bows are around $200.

He seemed very knowledgable, a 68 year old guy with years of experience. He said that Bois D'arc branches will shrink by inches and most often split a lot as they dry and shrink. He recommends letting them dry for a couple of years. I hope I have that long.

I think I will find a local source of fence posts and see if they carry Bois D'arc or Locust.

#7 NightKnight

NightKnight

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Interesting! I didn't know that you had to dry them for that long. I'll bet that if you had a long vacuum chamber you could pull enough stabilizer into it to keep it from shrinking too much.

#8 Shawn C

Shawn C

Advanced Member

• Supporting Vendor
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBurgettstown, PA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Typically, the rule of thumb is 1 year of drying time for 1 inch of wood thickness.  I think Osage Orange must be unique regarding that.  Strange, since it is such a hard wood....

#9 Lewey

Lewey

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationPulaski Tn

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Man, I have hundreds of those monsters on my property.  They will kill both you and your chainsaw if you try to cut down a big one.  I had to cut one about 2 feet in diameter at the trunk when the power company came to run electricity to my home.  It took 3 days and 4 chainsaw blades to cut up and pile it away from the right of way.  I looked like I had fought with a bobcat after I was through.

I love the wood though.  Its hard and dense so it carves well.  Finishes out nicely too.  I have made some wood spirit walking sticks from it in the past by carving the face through the sapwood into the yellow heartwood.  Makes for some interesting features.  I recently made a cedar cane with osage orange spacers and endcaps.  It really was a nice contrast to the colors.  There are a couple of photos of this one in my gallery.

• NightKnight likes this

#10 JJireh

JJireh

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationChristiana, Tn

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yep Hedgeapple is a monster, haaaard and spikey but can make some pretty bows and sticks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users