#1 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

Was wondering what my fellow stick makers do for dust suppression. My garage/shop is coated with sawdust from the belt/disc sander, band saw, the dremel and the mini rotary tool I use. During decent weather I normally us the hand tools outside but the belt sander and band saw are stationary. Neither of these old tools has a vac port so I vac what I can then fire up the leaf blower and blow out the garage but there has to better a better way to handle the dust. Suggestions?

Edited by MJC4, 20 November 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#2 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:00 PM

I'm still just using a broom and dust pan.

You can probably rig a vacuum port and a cheap shop vac near your disc sander to catch at least most of the dust.  The band saw's particles are bigger and less of a problem IMO.  You're probably not going to be able to install a dust port without cutting the bottom guard on it. Maybe put the vacuum hose right against the underside of the table near the lower guides?

My only problem is I hate the sound of shop vacs.  There are dedicated wood shop vacuum systems available but they're also more $.

Rodney

• MJC4 likes this

#3 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:21 PM

sounds like my workshop dusty

I did purchase a ash vac which connects to a vacuum cleaner to fit on the band saw it works well and doesn't clog up the vacuum cleaner don't think the wife is to happy about it when I pinch the vac  tho.

but most of the time I have a high tec brush and pan

• MJC4 likes this

#4 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:54 AM

Mark there are a number of DIY box fan filter system on you tube that could help a lot with the air born dust. You can set them up by your work as you are sanding. or sawing. Not expensive and work. Before I got a shop grade filters system I made Two box fan boxes and use cleanable 20"x20"house filters. Used them for years. Ware a mask also!!!!!!!

Edited by CV3, 21 November 2016 - 02:57 AM.

• MJC4 likes this

#5 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

As CV3 mentioned I use a bench standing dust extractor that I power carve in front of they work exceedingly well and if left running will

pull airborne  dust through it, By calculation the one I use theoretically changes the air in the shop 10 time per Hour less any inefficiencies.

They are basically a strong Sucking fan with a fiter pad in front.

• MJC4 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users