• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:20 AM

Good morning Dennis

This is the airbrush kit I bought - from RDG Tools - http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 09.04.03.png

I later added another airbrush set - specifically for the gravity feed res on top  as I found that you don't use a lot of paint on toppers

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 09.05.00.png

For a very good instructional set of videos on airbrushing can highly recomend a set of 7 videos on youybe :- Airbrushing Wildfowl Carvings.

The cleaning during painting is the method I have adopted and works well - it is important not to let any paint (acrylic) dry in the brush.

Milliput is a 2 part epoxy putty and for something that small I don't think you need any wire, one of the stickmaker I know drills antler coronet to add a wood shape and then builds it up with 2 part epoxy to shape and carve a animal head - lokks good when finished and painted

Edited by Gloops, 02 December 2016 - 09:26 AM.

• cobalt likes this

#12 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

thanks for the info much appreciated

#13 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

I really like your design cobalt. Have you considered small diameter brass or stainless steel wire? Say 1/16".that's about 1.58mm I think You can shape the end fairly easy then cut to the length yo want for each tooth. the metal teeth would make it stand out.  Or once cut you could  spray paint them. That may be to small maybe coat hanger wood be a better size. 

Edited by CV3, 02 December 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#14 JJireh

JJireh

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristiana, Tn

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

I use Magic Sculpt, which is like milliput, not sure which is more available over the pond.

#15 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

Not firewood yet Dennis. Concept is solid. Sometimes I put things up for a bit and looking at it a few days later the "right" method pops into the old noggin.

• cobalt likes this

#16 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

a tad more done . ended up using dowel for the teeth of the dragon .trying to keep vunerable parts of it as strong as possable .still a way to go yet but nearing the end . will nuse 8mm eyes but will fix them in when most of the texturing is done.

dragon70.JPG

• CAS14 likes this

#17 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

Nice job on the teeth cobalt, good looking Dragon. look forward to seeing it finished.

#18 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:10 AM

Looking good, using the ribbed dowels is effective, well done

#19 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:39 PM

Good morning Dennis

This is the airbrush kit I bought - from RDG Tools - http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-02 at 09.04.03.png

I later added another airbrush set - specifically for the gravity feed res on top  as I found that you don't use a lot of paint on toppers

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-02 at 09.05.00.png

For a very good instructional set of videos on airbrushing can highly recomend a set of 7 videos on youybe :- Airbrushing Wildfowl Carvings.

The cleaning during painting is the method I have adopted and works well - it is important not to let any paint (acrylic) dry in the brush.

Milliput is a 2 part epoxy putty and for something that small I don't think you need any wire, one of the stickmaker I know drills antler coronet to add a wood shape and then builds it up with 2 part epoxy to shape and carve a animal head - lokks good when finished and painted

thanks for info have ordered the airbrush should be here tomorrow (Friday)looking for supply of paint for it now

#20 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:34 AM

I mostly use the common acrylics from most art shops and have also used water colours but these are not as forgiving as acrylic.

On my latest topper I am using "plasticine" as a masking medium for covering areas where paint is not required, it is more malleable for fitting on contoured surfaces as on a carving and when on can be trimmed to shape with a blunt knife.

• cobalt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users