• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aoxamoxa

aoxamoxa

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

can be hand carbed, painted or a conbination..
i am handicapped- i havr a baf right kbwre/ lebg and i eoukd really lije a dead thwmed / jerru garvia theme cane.
can someone make one for me pleas or let me knowvwho i can contsct to have one mafe?
thank you!!!

#2 LilysDad

LilysDad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationDeKalb Co. IL

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

What would such a theme entail?

#3 gdenby

gdenby

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana, aka "Michiana"

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

can be hand carbed, painted or a conbination..
i am handicapped- i havr a baf right kbwre/ lebg and i eoukd really lije a dead thwmed / jerru garvia theme cane.
can someone make one for me pleas or let me knowvwho i can contsct to have one mafe?
thank you!!!

Brother, you type worse than I do. 

Carving a likeness of Uncle Jerry would most likely be a lot of labor. A line work logo, like a steal face, or a bear, a terrapin, a scarab, not to hard. Could even be burnt, and tinted.

Me: Auditorium, Chicago, '71. 

Edited by gdenby, 19 January 2017 - 06:53 PM.

#4 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

An image like this might work.

gdead_zpsotcp3w2g.jpg

I'm not a carver but this is a lot simpler than most Grateful Dead images I've seen.  Other things to consider might be a dancing bear topper or maybe Jerry's head.

Another thought would be to buy a Grateful Dead button with an image you like and have it cast into the top of a cane.  I took a look and there are a lot of choices.

Something to keep in mind is how much support do you need from your cane?  That will affect handle style choices.

Rodney

#5 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

Shawn Cipa's page http://shawnscarvings.com/ Go to his custom walking sticks and check out the Terrapin Station themed stick. This piece always blew me away. Might be right up your alley.

Edited by MJC4, 20 January 2017 - 01:17 AM.

#6 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:11 AM

He does some very nice work.

Rodney

#7 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

I'm not giving up yet, but carving is something that I'm not remotely able to do.

However, an easy fix would be to find an appropriate lapel or hat pin online, and embed that.  For circular pins, I simply drill a hole where I've marked the usual pin on the back of a lapel pin, shove the pin down to the wood, draw a pencil line around it, find the center of that circle, and then use a forstner bit to sink in the pin.  I like Woodcraft's structural epoxy to secure pins, and I add a very thin coat on top of pins as added protection against scratching.

Vance

• MJC4 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users