15 replies to this topic

#1 norson

norson

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

NOT even close to cane/stick making but I need HELP and hope someone here might be of assistance. I've mentioned before I use a cane 24/7 - plus at age 83 my balance just ain't what it used to be. I avoid as much as possible walking in the dark - we have nighlights throughout our home for that reason.

Does anyone here have/use those LED lights that attach to the bill of a baseball cap - and if so, are they worth the price?

Thanks
-neb

#2 Batakali

Batakali

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationSyracuse N.Y.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

I've used them and I can tell you that you get what you pay for! Might want to try a nice headlight instead. If you still want the clip on type the brand Photon makes a few nice but some what pricy versions, but they do last forever!
  • norson likes this

#3 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

I've seen them in the store, but never used one.  My son goes camping a lot, I'll ask him whether he owns one, and if so how well it works.

New cane idea, find a really tiny LED that could be embedded in a cane with a place for a battery.  Wonder if a watch-style battery would run a tiny LED.

• norson and Batakali like this

#4 Batakali

Batakali

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationSyracuse N.Y.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

Awesome idea! Most of the micro lights run on those batteries. I have seen some aluminum type "drugstore" canes that have very cheap, almost useless lights on them.
  • norson likes this

#5 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:00 AM

A little Googling turned up lots of options, with a wide range of prices and styles. If I drilled a hole all the way through a stick and used the correct threaded insert, those lights for bow scopes might work. It would be more costly than I'd want to gamble.

IMG_4506.PNG

I didn't notice the diameter or specs other than the threads.
  • norson likes this

#6 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

Just talked to a young friend who has a Browning LED light that attaches to a ballcap brim or you can wear around your head.  I don't see the model he mentioned on the website.  He likes his, and uses it all the time in the winter for grilling outside.  I saw this one on the Browning website, and it looks cool but I'd hope to see one demoed in a sporting goods store, personally.  I didn't see any reviews.

http://www.browning....t-headlamp.html

• norson likes this

#7 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

Canes with lights in them have been around since at least the 30s.  I've seen pictures of a few very nice examples online.  I've thought about making one though I'm not sure just how practical it would be. 

I never wore ball caps so don't have much info on the clip on models.  I know I do like headlamps for hands free light.  Petzl used to be really good.  I had one of their lamps in the pre-LED days.

Rodney

• norson likes this

#8 norson

norson

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions - guess I need to be more specific (or Atlantic) - I cannot use hand-held flashlight - that hand has tight hold of my wife (or I don't go) - also light in the cane itself wouldn't work - for it moves with each stride. I NEED to be able to light the surrounding surface I'm going to be walking on for the next 2-3 steps.

That's why I could find a lamp/light that would attach to my baseball cap - which I would LEAVE there - use that cap only when going out after dark (SELDOM).

Thanks again

#9 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:04 PM

Here's a less expensive option. I have no idea how good this is.

http://m.dickssporti...CFYpufgodXZcL8g
  • norson likes this

#10 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:40 AM

I would check Cabela's, Bass Pro or Dick's sporting goods stores. Wife and I travel in a small motorhome and though we don't use the headlamps ourselves we see lots of other campers using them everywhere. Young folks in particular seem to prefer the headlamp to the old trusty mag light we use.

• norson likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)