#1 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

I finely got the Birds Eye maple handle fitted to the fitted to the padauk shank.  I had planned to add an ebony collar but I only had a small piece of ebony and it split when I was drilling it.  I have not put a finish on yet.  I just wiped it down with a damp cloth so the bird’s eye would stand out and the contrast in color in the crook and shank stood out. I still have some shaping to do on the handle.  It is a bit thick in some areas.I will use tung oil as a finish. 

IMG_4120.JPG

• CAS14, cobalt, MJC4 and 3 others like this

#2 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:11 AM

That bird's eye maple really pops Randy! Will be a real beaut when its done!

#3 RandyL476

RandyL476

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • LocationFulton, Alabama

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:47 AM

That will be a nice looking cane when your done.

#4 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:12 AM

looks a very nice job .your right to think the handle is a little thick in places .but a nice job all the same .great contrast in the wood should be a 1st class stick when finished :thumbsu:

I also maybe criticise my own work to much  but like you we try  to be objective in your approach to a job  it achieves more in the long term .So easy to think something is good .but overall  it looks pretty good to me

Its more likely that this is one to keep for yourself its something to be very satisfied with and will create a lot of interest from people whilst your using it.

post pics when you finish it .

Edited by cobalt, 07 February 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#5 LilysDad

LilysDad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationDeKalb Co. IL

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

It will do for hooking sheep around the neck, anyway. :D Just kidding! It's going to be a beauty.

#6 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

looks a very nice job .your right to think the handle is a little thick in places .but a nice job all the same .great contrast in the wood should be a 1st class stick when finished :thumbsu:

I also maybe criticise my own work to much  but like you we try  to be objective in your approach to a job  it achieves more in the long term .So easy to think something is good .but overall  it looks pretty good to me

Its more likely that this is one to keep for yourself its something to be very satisfied with and will create a lot of interest from people whilst your using it.

post pics when you finish it .

I am very critical of my work. I do not think I have done any thing I have not found something I should have done better in it. Mostly things no one but me would really notice. Keeps me motivated to do better. I believe I will keep this one. I like walking with it. it has a good feel to it.  

#7 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

we always find something we consider wrong other people may not notice it but I always ask myself could I have done something different /better the answer is always yes

But you shouldn't  knock yourself with this little beauty I would have it gladly

#8 elmsfordlt

elmsfordlt

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

It's looking nice.  We all find things we could have done better after the fact.

#9 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

It's going to be a great looking stick.  That's some first class maple you have.

I tend to be critical of my own work too.  I think most people who care about what they're doing are.  I have yet to make a perfect stick, let alone anything else.

It's how we improve.

Rodney

#10 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

That one will look beautiful when it is finished and polished, the colour and pattern of the grain will really come to life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users