#11 LilysDad

LilysDad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDeKalb Co. IL

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

.  I had planned to add an ebony collar but I only had a small piece of ebony and it split when I was drilling it.

In any case, if a piece of fine wood isn't available, wouldn't it be better to use something like a brass washer to delineate the change of wood? I have even used pewter, which is very easy to cast.

P.S. When working on the stock of a rifle, I used the black plastic from an oil bottle to make a spacer.

Edited by LilysDad, 08 February 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#12 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

.  I had planned to add an ebony collar but I only had a small piece of ebony and it split when I was drilling it.

In any case, if a piece of fine wood isn't available, wouldn't it be better to use something like a brass washer to delineate the change of wood? I have even used pewter, which is very easy to cast.

P.S. When working on the stock of a rifle, I used the black plastic from an oil bottle to make a spacer.
No. I felt like the contrast in the birds eye and the padauk was good on its own.

#13 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

A contrasting collar is purely a matter of taste to me too.  I've done some with and I've done some without.  It just depends on the stick and possibly the mood I'm in at the moment.

Rodney

• CAS14 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users