cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

started on a few interchangable toppers today

Cut some patterns from a book I had .I wanted to look at the difference between the male /female of the mallard as there supposed to be anatomically correct or am I making something out of nothing. the heads and beaks of them are slightly different  , but doubt if anyone would notice it. 

Have decide not to make any sticks for anyone to concerntrate on the toppers .Still loking for some good patterens,  threw several out  as my old teacher said could do better .

So cut out a couple of mallards, scoter, ,pintail,canvas back, shoveler and flavours ducks,

need to get a good pattern of a eider duck and some goose heads.Still need to get a piece of ash wood for a crook

The band saw comes into its own

interchangable toppers11.JPG interchangable toppers10.JPG interchanable toppers9.JPG interchangable topers4.JPG interchangable toppers.JPG

Edited by cobalt, 10 February 2017 - 09:40 PM.

#2 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:53 AM

Looks like you're going to be busy for a while.  Should be an interesting project for you.

Rodney

#3 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

Getting ready for the summer Dennis, looks like the bandsaw has been working overtime, I have still to get some blanks ready for summer at the van and ducks seem a good idea.

• cobalt likes this

#4 Sean

Sean

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC Canada

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:19 AM

Those look great. I am liking that thread system.

#5 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:48 AM

My blasted drill has packed up was hoping to drill out the connection hole for the screw threaded bar .Once the basics are done you cn enjoy the carving .

did look for a screw jiont without the brass flange  on as would like to avoid using a nickel silver collar the hide the joint .Maybe the only way is to cut the flange off. If you guys know of any screw system that would take a 8mm threaded bar would appreciate it

I will only use one half of the screw joint as I will epoxy the threaded bar into shank and fix the brass  screw flange into the topper that way I can get two toppers from one screw joint

Edited by cobalt, 12 February 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#6 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:09 PM

cobalt ever used a threaded insert? I have not used one on a stick but have on other wood projects. I have thought about doing a stick or two with the insert. In other uses I have found I prefer the ones with the threaded out side.they screw in to the wood and hold much better than those that you just glue in place. You can drill the a hole for the threaded rod ten enlarge the top of the hole to fit the insert.  

Z1LNpzfo5oy.JPG

Edited by CV3, 12 February 2017 - 03:12 PM.

• CAS14 and cobalt like this

#7 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

it sounds like just thing i want .I will have to search around to see if i can get them this side of the pond

#8 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,366 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

This is the easy way to install the inserts. I all so use a little epoxy.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Xv2zc6pXjbw

#9 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:11 PM

I have found a supplier here I was after something like 2 inch depth but as there's no weight  or strain to be put on them they should be fine  cheers

will look into that and get some

#10 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

You will find the ducks easy to carve after carving dogs gloops

• Gloops likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic