Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

Hi Cobalt.

The Great Dane interchangeable topper I did I used M8 thread inserts similar to the ones CV3 posted, only diff being metho of insertion

I used Allen Key type.

I also used a collar as this added a lot more support to the joint, I adde the collar to the toppet, could have added it to the  shank to save buying a collar for each topper ( Being a Yorkshireman) but thought when topper not attached it would be more pleasing with a collar, could then be housed in a decorative block using the protruding threaded bar and used on display .

The screw thread inserts were got from ebay and I believe they can be purchased in differing lengths

The one I used I fitted using a 10mm dia drilled hole-this was a tight fit screwing it in and didn't need glue, on reflection I would in future use 11.5 or 12 mm drill and bond in with epoxy to prevent any chance of the shank splitting on insertion.

IMG_4976 copy.jpg IMG_4975 copy.jpg

IMG_5095.PNG

Edited by Gloops, 13 February 2017 - 09:21 AM.

• CAS14 likes this

#12 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

This is exacly the typeof fitting i had in mind.

I want to use water buffalo horn as a collar so think i will get a M8 25mm threaded insert epoxy the threaeded bar into the topper with the buffalo horn collar and insert the screw thread into the shaft . A lot cheaper method of attaching than the screw jionts readily available, and will consider using a larger drill as I can imagine that there is a good chance of splitting the shank when inserting the screw insert.The allen key fixing seems a better way for fixing

Thanks Randy/ Gloops very helpful  info especially with pictures

I have a preference for the buffalo horn always looks good when a thick collar is inserted

Now just a dam drill to get now mine has packed up

Edited by cobalt, 13 February 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#13 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

I used a threaded insert on my first walking stick, and several since.  The insert installed easily, although on several brass insert installations into very hard woods, it's difficult to avoid stripping the screwdriver slot.  Therefore, next time I will try to find the type that Gloops recommended. 

I tend to drill a tad too large in the really hard woods, and put a spot of epoxy on the threads.  There is then a risk of gunking up the interior threads.  Thus the saying "it's better to be lucky than smart."  ;-)

I generally use a hanger bolt installed into the toppers.

The greatest challenge for me is always to drill a hole that is perfectly aligned with the axis of the stick, or the part of the axis that I want to be aligned with (for curvy sticks).

#14 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

One thing that helps is to run a bolt inside the insert and use a jam nut to spin it in instead of using the slot.  Those slotted brass inserts are fragile at best when you're installing them.

Use oil or wax on the inside threads to keep epoxy off them.

I struggle with getting holes aligned myself.  No help there.

Rodney

• Gloops likes this

#15 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

alignment is probably the most difficult thing to do .I just hand and eye coordination but it can so often be slightly out .A sharp tap with a hammer can align the threaded bar up enough but to insert a threaded screw will need to take more care as there's no way it can be changed once drilled  .So always drill the shank 1st if a mistake is made there's usually enough of the shank to cut it of and re-drill it .I only cut the shank to the length I want when the stick is finished

#16 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

A friend just sent me some patterns of the eider duck its a bit of a strange creature but hoping to incorporate them into some topers for the interchangeable heads

They are around the north west coast of Scotland her sounds as though there more common in north America?

common_eider4.png specticaled eider.jpg 1kingeidermale.jpg stellar eider.jpg Common%20Eider3.jpg [

eiderduck.jpg kingeiderduck1.jpg kingeiderduck.jpg

#17 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

Thanx for postong the Eider patterns , taken a copy if it's ok with you.

#18 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

feel free to do so

Edited by cobalt, 14 February 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#19 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

Thanks Dennis , are the pics posted of the North American King Eider?

#20 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

yes its the king eider I may be getting some more of all the eider family if you want them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users