#11 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:09 AM

Got yourself a special piece there Fenland. Mr. Wood does some outstanding work. Some of the best faces I have seen!

• fenland likes this

#12 fenland

fenland

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

A nice person sent me 4 bits of the closest type of wood we could find to Butternut in the UK. So I am now doing a trial with Boiled linseed Oil, Pure Tung Oil, Quick Drying Tung Oil, and Danish Oil. But Have decided to order some Teak oil to do that as well. But will have to catch up with that as I'm on my 3rd coat of the others already.

#13 fenland

fenland

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

I can already see the difference in not only how each darkens the wood but even more how each soaks in to the wood. The Tung oil has gone far deeper. Will be interesting to see how it compares to Teak oil.

#14 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Glad you were able to fined a test board fenlad.Tung oil cure or drying time can varies a lot with temp and humidity. In my area I can have to give up to 4 or 5 days between coats in mid summer.with  our humidity.   

• fenland likes this

#15 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 26 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

The Minwax brand Tung oil I use is on the thin side.  It takes about a day between coats to dry.  My climate is cool and rainy this time of year.

Rodney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users