#1 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:04 AM

In 1974, I took a position with Kaiser Steel, to help identify metallurgical coal resources on their 530,000 acres of minerals near Raton, NM.  I had read an old USGS report about igneous sills that had invaded the York Canyon coal seam in their "Upper York Canyon" area.  A core hole proved this old report to be correct.  I recovered some great igneous core from the stratigraphic horizon that should have been coal.

I've kept this for all these years, it's just sentimental.  So I plan to make an interchangeable topper from this, unless I screw it up.

UpperYorkSill_2.jpg

UpperYorkSill_1.JPG

I plan to square off both ends so that I can drill perfectly vertically to install a threaded insert or coupling.  Then I plan to grind and sand off the top end so that it is rounded.  Carborundum (wet/dry) sandpaper will do the job from past experience.

• RandyL476, LilysDad and dww2 like this

#2 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:14 AM

Keep us posted as you work with it.  My experience working with stone is limited and I'd like to learn more.

Are you polishing it too or leaving the finish as-is?

Rodney

#3 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:02 AM

A great project when polished up it will look superb, what is it's strength like for resistance to being dropped accidentaly ?

#4 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

This, as with most rocks and minerals, will shatter fairly easily if it strikes a hard surface. As the igneous rock cooled, shrinkage cracks formed which are weak. Voids were filled with calcite, as hot fluids moved through them much later. I could crack the rock simply by drilling into it.

My Cherokee geologist friend had a ceremonial staff topped with a large quartz crystal. He dropped that and the crystal shattered. This problem is the reason that I plan to make the topper replaceable, in fact interchangeable with those I've made for one of my first sticks.

#5 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:28 PM

Challenging and great project CAS14. I look forward to following you progress.

#6 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:30 AM

different . like it  interesting project

#7 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:48 AM

Today was the last warm day for a few days. I sawed off about 2 1/2 inches and began sanding. The vibration during sawing caused the remainder of the core to fracture into two pieces, not a good sign.

The core is 2 1/8 inches diameter. The top of the stick is only about 1 7/8 inches díameter. After drilling, if the core doesn't fracture, I'll have to round or taper the 90 degree edge to match the diameters.

After quite a lot of 80-grit sanding the diamond drill bit striations are still faintly visible.

The grandkids were over for the Friday after-school chaos. Our grandson brought his most recent stick for a minor repair. It's not easy to remain focused on one project, but it's all good.

#8 alador

alador

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:08 AM

Looks like a cool project. I have some mineral spheres that I have thought about using for walking stick knobs. There are several techniques online for stabilizing stone for grinding etc. but  I suppose with your background you probably familiar with them already.

#9 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:36 PM

A few months ago, I bought a set of diamond hole saws to try what you're doing and maybe make stone collars for multi-piece sticks. Looking forward to seeing your results!

#10 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Both the top and the bottom must be square. The top will rest on the drill press table when the hole is drilled into the base. Of course the base will rest on the squared top of the stick. Hopefully this nearly universal challenge of drilling the stick for the hanger bolt will be successful.

IMG_4568.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users