4 replies to this topic

#1 norson

norson

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

Sometimes, through my own efforts, I manage to split a section/piece of cane shank/shaft I’d like to keep. . . and even though the crack is neither deep nor wide for misc reasons I want to save that piece if at all possible.

I’ve been using these glue syringes for years - and they work. The tip is so small I can get wood glue into almost any opening - the only drawback for me, is getting every last drop of the remaining glue out of the tip or they seal closed. I’ve found that warm water (kitchen sink - shhhhhh!) works best - by continually filling the tube and forcing it out the tiny opening.

After I’m certain I’ve put a sufficient amount of glue down into the crack, I put that shank into my vise or one of the clamps and crank it closed, clearing away the excess with a damp cloth or paper shop towel.

I ordered five more yesterday off eBay, for less than a buck a piece.

-neb

Attached Thumbnails

• 170228 GLUING.jpg

• Rodney likes this

#2 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Rodney

• norson likes this

#3 Sean

Sean

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC Canada

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

Good idea.
  • norson likes this

#4 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

It must be worth you while to glue the shanks ,  I would only consider using a shank if  its was sound and its straight

This is probably one of the main differences in stickmaking  in America and the UK. no doubt both stickmakers will think there right

• norson likes this

#5 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the tip Norson - the only time I have used a srynge is to suck up flat beer from a glass and squirt it quickly back in - it puts the head back on the beer.

• norson and dww2 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users