#11 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

I have some soya sheep horn they are also to thin for handles  , I use them for cutting out intials for peoplr and insert them on the shanks . The horn is eay to shape and cut out . also handy for cutting horoscopes signs

so could be of some use to you.

#12 sidelight

sidelight

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:07 PM

cheers for your input stickie! I know it is much more difficult but I wouldn't necessarily need to be bulked into a round shape. I have seen sticks on a website which sells ewe horn sticks and would like to know how this is done.

#13 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:43 PM

I think a bit of threaded rod glued into the shank with epoxy(or cutting a tenon on the shank) and then filling the core of the horn with epoxy and sticking it into the horn would do the trick. As long as you take the time to make sure the point where they join is nice and neat, it'll make a fine stick. Maybe a collar of some sort if the horn and shank are of different sizes.

#14 sidelight

sidelight

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

cheers dww2. that sounds like great advice I will have a play and see what happens. All this advice is very much appreciated.

#15 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

Could you provide a photo of the horn, it may help others with the thinking process, we have e few lateral thinkers here.

#16 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Our members from the UK kown more about this than most of us. Also if you google something like mounting horn on a walking stick You will find a lot of youtubes on how to shape and use horn..

#17 sidelight

sidelight

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

I'm from the UK and there is very little in regard to ewe horn whereas there is loads on rams horn. often they only subject using rams horn because the walls of the horn harry thicker and stronger nut was just wondering if anyone has had experience in ewe horn as I expect there to be a difference in the way it is mounted to a shank due to its very different characteristics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users