#1 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

This is a new stick I started a week or so ago and have made a bit of progress, though the weather doesn't seem to want me to work on it. (My "shop" is the bay of our garage where my car would sit if the place wasn't so full of stuff. Not heated, so our recent return to winter weather, including the 14 +/- inches of snow Tuesday into Wednesday, hasn't helped progress.)

The blank was a couple of suckers which had grown from the stump of a small tree cut many years before; one large and just opposite it a smaller one. I thought it would make a cool handle, so I cut it. Only problem is, as you can see from the photos, the center had rotted away, which makes it rather uncomfortable to hold. I thought about carving a piece of wood to fill it, but unless I got it just right, it would look like crap. Figured that wood putty wouldn't look great either.

Had another idea which might work, though: epoxy resin. I've seen it used to fill voids in numerous woodturning videos, so I think I might give it a try once the weather warms up a bit. Maybe mix in some sawdust and shavings to keep it looking like wood. Or maybe a carving of some sort suspended in the resin... 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0455.JPG
  • 100_0456.JPG
  • 100_0459.JPG
  • 100_0461.JPG
  • 100_0462.JPG

#2 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

That looks a large void.. You may be able to fill it using a epoxy putty stick. If it is a fairly even half circle  you might consider rounding it out as even as you can and looking for a piece of tree limb that   you could fit and glue in. Then shape with a file or sander and fill any remaining void with a two part epoxy putty stick.    

• dww2 likes this

#3 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

You might take a look at the casting resin available in craft stores.  I think it's a polyester resin instead of epoxy but cures clear.

Pen turners get some interesting effects with colored resins too.

Rodney

• dww2 likes this

#4 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

Thanks Randy and Rodney! The more I thought about it while working today, the more I liked the clear resin idea with maybe something suspended in it. The space kind of reminds me of a river bottom, so I was thinking maybe a small carved fish suspended in the resin with some sand or pebbles at the bottom to look like river rocks.

Did some more whittling on it after work today. (Kind of a lousy day so I needed some sawdust therapy)  It was pretty heavy so I'm reducing the weight a bit by shaving the handle down with my spoke shave. It also has a slight S curve to it which I'm reducing by shaving away the outsides of the S.

More pics when I remember to buy new batteries for the camera. The thing just devours them...

#5 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:33 PM

You might want to fill it with resin before you continue shaping.  I think it will be easier to shape the wood and resin together instead of trying to get a perfect joint around the edges after the wood is shaped.

Rodney

• dww2 likes this

#6 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

Try using wood glue its cheap and cheerful mixed with sawdust

have used  it to repair toppers people have dropped and damaged . even use it to re-drill holes to insert glass eyes when   I made a mistake in drilling in the wrong place its easy to shape on a rasp 

• dww2 likes this

#7 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

Thanks Cobalt and again Rodney. I've done the sawdust and glue trick on bowls before. (Although, it was CA glue--super glue-- that I used) Worked great to fill the checks in a cherry burl bowl. You couldn't even see them when I was done with it.

I'm thinking more along the lines of treating the hole in the handle as less of a flaw to be covered and more as a feature to be accentuated. An opportunity to give the stick an extra something. Like Cindy Crawford's mole. Whatever I decide it will have to wait for warmer weather. A balmy 37 degrees out there right now.

#8 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:32 AM

I keep a cottage cheese container full of saw dust just for things like Cobalt and others have said. Elmer's Wood Glue Max and sawdust with a bit of water based gel stain in the color I am trying to match have saved more than a few of my pieces. 

• dww2 likes this

#9 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

Shaved quite a bit off the stick but still needs to be thinned down more since it is still rather heavy. Shaped the head some too. Looking a bit like a nose in market stick. I thought it would look cool for it to flare out a little at the bottom of the gripping area, and then taper down again along the length.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0471.JPG
  • 100_0472.JPG

Edited by dww2, 18 March 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#10 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:29 AM

looks likeitcouldbe a parrots/flamingo /birds  head seems to be crying out to be carved but maybe its me  

• dww2 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users