#11 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

That, Cobalt, is a fantastic idea!! With what I think I've decided on for the other side (how to fill the large void and what to fill it with) I'm thinking maybe a shallow relief carving of an osprey's head. The hooked nose of the stick will accommodate the osprey's bill perfectly, I believe, and the stick head thickens just behind where the bill would end giving it more depth.

For the other side, I think I'm going to try a small carving of a fish suspended in the clear resin, maybe with a bit of coloring to make it look like it is an underwater photo. I'll probably paint the back wall very pale blue/green and leave the gnarly bark growth as is to simulate rocks. Maybe chuck in a few slivers of green paper or pine needles to simulate pond grass.

I picked up some clear casting resin and casting putty to make a form for it. Now I just need warm weather.

• cobalt likes this

#12 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

Got the osprey head roughed in the other day during a decent bit of weather. Couldn't find a good pattern, so just sketched it from a google image I liked. I think I made the beak a little long, but I might be able to fix it. Took quite a bit off the shank with my spoke shave, too. It was just too heavy the way it was.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0286.JPG

Edited by dww2, 31 March 2017 - 07:30 PM.

• MJC4 likes this

#13 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

Looking good so far.

Rodney

• dww2 likes this

#14 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:24 AM

Nearly got the lines of a bald eagle to me, take some photo copies of the profile (enlarge if poss) and do some sketching out of eagles, hawks buzzards etc.

• dww2 likes this

#15 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

I might have to do that, Gloops, but I really had my mind set on an osprey. Partly because everyone does eagles and an osprey would be different. Mainly because I've always loved ospreys. They remind me of the days spent at my family's camp in a nearby town called Smithfield. There is an island in the pond on which the camp is located, and at one end is a tall, weather-beaten pine tree in which a pair of ospreys always make a nest. Every now and then one of the pair would swoop down to the pond and snag a fish for the little ones. We kept a pair of binoculars by the window on the porch for watching them.

When I was quite young (8 or 9, I think) my Dad brought home an osprey which had touched a couple of power lines. (He worked for the local power company for nearly 40 years) One of his men had retrieved the body and planned to take it to a taxidermist, but let Dad bring it home to show us first. Gorgeous bird.

• MJC4 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users