#11 LilysDad

LilysDad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationDeKalb Co. IL

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

I've seen the grinning turning addicts, standing in front of their lathe, knee deep in shavings, with the oxygen fed facemask in place, and the wall covered in turning tools behind them....

I took a class on tips for production turning from a man from Iowa who made a living making hand turned spinning wheels. He only used 3 tools. A parting tool, a 2" bowl gouge, an 1 1/2" chisel. He said if you have more than that, you spend too much time changing tools.

#12 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

As one old Marine to another welcome to the forum.   

#13 brokenolmarine

brokenolmarine

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCentral Va

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

I've seen the grinning turning addicts, standing in front of their lathe, knee deep in shavings, with the oxygen fed facemask in place, and the wall covered in turning tools behind them....

I took a class on tips for production turning from a man from Iowa who made a living making hand turned spinning wheels. He only used 3 tools. A parting tool, a 2" bowl gouge, an 1 1/2" chisel. He said if you have more than that, you spend too much time changing tools.

I have a good bit of woodworking tools, but I do have to say, I have used half of them a lot, half the rest a good bit, and ninety nine percent do get used. There have been a couple things I bought thinking I had to have, or the tool came free with something else... and it's just taking up space.
  • cobalt likes this

#14 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

i also have loads of tools but mainly just use about 6 chisels band, saw drill, rasps and a rotary tool

and for stickmaking you don't need mush more . the rest adorn the walls in the workshop sometimes used but think I may as well stuck money on the wall . I'm just a hoarder  

#15 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

For making hollow forms (vases) you really need to add a hollowing tool or two (or three) to the list, but my most used tools were a roughing gouge, a bowl gouge, a parting tool, and a skew chisel.

Edited by dww2, 16 April 2017 - 10:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users