#1 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Got home from work fairly early yesterday and the weather was decent, so I decided to take a walk down behind my folks' place to the old disused cow pasture to look for stick blanks. Couldn't believe how much it had changed down there; I used to know every tree and rock there but after 15-20 years almost nothing was familiar. I really wanted to check out an old apple tree I remembered to see if it had anything usable, but when I found it, it was half dead and everything on it branch-wise was too big or too small.

I did manage to come away with 5 blanks, though. One ash, one apple (from a different tree) and three maple, one of which is almost identical to a cane I finished a while ago (pic below). Same size and very similar root handle.

Also spotted a few thorn bushes of the same type as another cane I did (The one that had kind of an antler/rhino horn look to it) so I will have to go back for those.

Something else to go back and check out was a maple tree which had fallen over but not died. From the horizontal trunk, several branches had sprouted and grown straight upwards.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0432.JPG

• CAS14 and Gloops like this

#2 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:58 AM

Sounds like you had a good day anyway.

Bring a saw when you go back and see if you can get some of the trunk on that maple too.  You might be able to get some good one piece sticks.

Rodney

• dww2 likes this

#3 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:10 PM

I had my small blank-collecting saw with me but the tree was just too big. It would need the bow saw or a chain saw. Or an axe.

Went out again today and got two more ash sticks, three thorn bush sticks, and a nice straight bit of chestnut which had been on my folks lawn until Dad clipped it with the snowplow this winter. (I don't think Ma has noticed it is gone yet)

The thorn bush is amazingly dense wood. Probably close to twice the weight of ash or maple.

#4 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

The thorn bush is amazingly dense wood. Probably close to twice the weight of ash or maple.
[/quote]
We have Hawthorne around here, Very tough wood

Edited by MJC4, 18 April 2017 - 05:58 AM.

• dww2 likes this

#5 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

Yes, I think it is a species of hawthorn. A shrub variety, perhaps, since it only gets to be about 10-12 feet tall. Once it leaves out, I'll have to check it in my tree identifier book to try and pin down the variety.

Growing up, we (my brother, cousins, and I) always referred to them as just "thorn bushes." ( Well, actually, it was usually "Those f***ing thorn bushes" since they hurt like crazy when you ran into one by accident.)

The cut surface is smooth as glass. Makes me wonder how a piece of it would do on the lathe? Wikipedia says folks used to make tool handles from it, so I bet it turns nicely.

#6 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Pictures?

I cut a couple pieces of hawthorn this winter.  It's heavy compared to other woods and resists steaming.  It seems to be tough solid stuff.  I was leaning into those sticks pretty good and not getting far with them.

Rodney

#7 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

Pictures of the haul.  Four thorn bush blanks, three maple and a chestnut, then two ash and an apple. The apple and the small maple cane blank are clamped to boards to hopefully straighten them a bit.

Oops! Meant to turn the photos the right way up but...oh well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0498.JPG
  • 100_0499.JPG
  • 100_0500.JPG

Edited by dww2, 18 April 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#8 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

The thorn bush ones look like they could be hawthorn.

You got a couple great root sticks in that haul.

Rodney

• dww2 likes this

#9 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

Got a few more yesterday while walking the dogs and again this morning before the rain is supposed to hit.

Three dogwood, a nice oak with knob stick potential, and a really cool cherry root cane in first pic. Four nice maples in second pic. Two ash and a two-for-one yellow birch in the last pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0503.JPG
  • 100_0504.JPG
  • 100_0505.JPG

Edited by dww2, 19 April 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#10 Gloops

Gloops

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLeeds Yorkshire England

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

Nice set, one of those is screaming make me an elephant, have you spotted it?

• dww2 and like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users