#11 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

The shorter of the two ash sticks, maybe?

#12 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:02 PM

I'm thinking the root stick on the far right in the first picture.

Looks like an elephant's trunk to me.

Rodney

• dww2 likes this

#13 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

Ah yeah, I see it now. You're right , it does! I was looking more at the roots than the shank. It even has a good spot for a couple of tusks to be added where the branches were.

Wouldn't be the first time I made a set of fake elephant tusks, either. When I was in college, one of my roommates, a guy from Viet Nam named Hiep Tran, had a carved wooden elephant amongst the things on his desk. I saw that it had lost its tusks somewhere along the way so I found a piece of scrap pine board and whittled it a new set. The college's only pachyderm denturist, I was. LOL

• cobalt likes this

#14 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

Pictures of the haul.  Four thorn bush blanks, three maple and a chestnut, then two ash and an apple. The apple and the small maple cane blank are clamped to boards to hopefully straighten them a bit.

Oops! Meant to turn the photos the right way up but...oh well.

you would be better of straightening them after there seasoned with a heat gun its not a long job as long as you don't scorch them got to admit  steam is better

• dww2 likes this

#15 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

I'll have to try that. It'll mean building a steambox first, but that was on my list of things I ought to buy/build to do proper straight sticks.

I'd be nervous using a heat gun, though. The area where I work on sticks is quite close to where we store the horse's hay. At least with the steamer, there's a source of water handy.

#16 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

i see your problem but for a one off is it worth building a steamer . i mostly use the heat gun but perfer steaming . jsut heat the shank up a little at a time and just bend it till straight working your way along the shank . with steaming you can leave it till its well hot without scotching and you can bend it into a crook shape quite easily. i oftern bend them on my knee but its better to use a very simple jig you don't have to leave it till its cold just bend it then do the next bit.

Its useful to use a bit of chalk to mark where it needs bending for a marker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users