#11 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

The shorter of the two ash sticks, maybe?

#12 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:02 PM

I'm thinking the root stick on the far right in the first picture.

Looks like an elephant's trunk to me.

Rodney

• dww2 likes this

#13 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

Ah yeah, I see it now. You're right , it does! I was looking more at the roots than the shank. It even has a good spot for a couple of tusks to be added where the branches were.

Wouldn't be the first time I made a set of fake elephant tusks, either. When I was in college, one of my roommates, a guy from Viet Nam named Hiep Tran, had a carved wooden elephant amongst the things on his desk. I saw that it had lost its tusks somewhere along the way so I found a piece of scrap pine board and whittled it a new set. The college's only pachyderm denturist, I was. LOL

• cobalt likes this

#14 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts
  • LocationBoston. England

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

Pictures of the haul.  Four thorn bush blanks, three maple and a chestnut, then two ash and an apple. The apple and the small maple cane blank are clamped to boards to hopefully straighten them a bit.

Oops! Meant to turn the photos the right way up but...oh well.

you would be better of straightening them after there seasoned with a heat gun its not a long job as long as you don't scorch them got to admit  steam is better

• dww2 likes this

#15 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

I'll have to try that. It'll mean building a steambox first, but that was on my list of things I ought to buy/build to do proper straight sticks.

I'd be nervous using a heat gun, though. The area where I work on sticks is quite close to where we store the horse's hay. At least with the steamer, there's a source of water handy.

#16 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:28 PM

i see your problem but for a one off is it worth building a steamer . i mostly use the heat gun but perfer steaming . jsut heat the shank up a little at a time and just bend it till straight working your way along the shank . with steaming you can leave it till its well hot without scotching and you can bend it into a crook shape quite easily. i oftern bend them on my knee but its better to use a very simple jig you don't have to leave it till its cold just bend it then do the next bit.

Its useful to use a bit of chalk to mark where it needs bending for a marker

• dww2 likes this

#17 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

I might actually have all the bits and pieces I'd need to build a steambox, now that I think about it. The gf has an old Shark (brand) floor cleaning rig which works with steam which she doesn't use anymore. Some scrap lumber, a piece of PVC pipe, and some insulation board. Hmmm. And vacation week after next.

I wonder how yellow birch would bend?

#18 cobalt

cobalt

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

you may also consider a wall[paper stripper connected up to the box they work well

cant comment on yellow bitch not used it butany wood will bend if steamed and pressure applied some better than others

after all a boat builders bend there wood

• dww2 likes this

#19 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

That would probably be even better since the Shark thingy has a very small water tank on it. Thanks for the advice!

Dana

#20 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

It takes longer but for just one or two sticks you can get by just by laying the stick across a boiling pot of water and covering it with a towel.  If you're going to make a habit of it a steam box is the way to go-especially for multiple sticks.

Rodney

• dww2 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users