3 replies to this topic

#1 farmhunter

farmhunter

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

I've been using the Holiday off work to finish a few sticks -

Most of the sticks I give away to freinds and family.  for the past few years I've been donating a few to auction off in charity events - they are always are a hot topic at these events.  If I wanted to sell them I could get quite a few here each year.

Most of my sticks are fre form wood sticks - I'm not a carver yet.  I started making a couple for me to hike with when I shed hunt antlers - and another couple for shooting supprt when I hunt.  from there I started making more as something to do in the winter months.

Here's a couple that are done -

image2.jpeg

Also here's the Hornbeam one I did.  It was growing in amoungst thick ceders and was tall and straight - and much older than one would think becasue it was stunted. 

image3.jpeg

I've been playing with different ways of making a "tag" - I've been slicing the sticks into 1/4" tags from the stick when I start  - and putting the date and my name on them - rather than on the stick.  The tag on the picture above is just threaded on to the lanyard.

The tag on the cedar below is done like a bolo tie - and on can tighten and loosen the lanyard around your wrist with the "tag".  Its made me think of other - lanyard mechanisms that might be beads or polished metal in design. 

image.jpeg

thanks for looking - and sharing your ideas here -

Sean M.

• firie000 likes this

#2 Sean

Sean

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC Canada

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:14 AM

Nice looking free form sticks there Sean! I'm sure all are very happy recipients who get one. I particularly like the date tags your putting on your sticks. I think it's a good idea for all of us stick makers to put your mark and date on.

#3 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

Good looking group of sticks Sean. I like the tag on the lanyard also. Nice way to personalize a stick putting their name and date.

#4 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Nice looking batch there Sean.

I like the tag idea. I have been looking for a way to sign my pieces without disfiguring the wood. I have been wood burning my initials on the lower end of the sticks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users