15 replies to this topic

#1 ValenciaClay

ValenciaClay

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hello All,

I am new to this forum. I am the Cub Master for our local cub scout Pack and I am planning the details for each of our 30 cubs (1st-5th grades) to make their own walking sticks. I want to start them out by giving them their stick and some geenral guidelines and then let the Parents work on theirs and their Cub's sticks at home for a few months.

I would like to get some opinions on the best woods to use for the sticks. It should be strong and light, and I would like it to last without splitting. And because I have to buy so many I need to keep the costs in check. Any thoughts and comments are much appreciated.

For the adults I though about a 1"dia. x 6' dowel. For the Vubs I am thinking about 3/4"dia x 4' dowel. Then I am hoping to get some advise on whipping the handles. We are also looking at this sketch from the Boys Scout sketch book: http://www.troop142b...iking Stick.pdf .

Thank You and Kind Regards,

ValenciaClay

#2 Rad

Rad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • LocationHolmes County, Ohio

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Your PDF file mentioned "implement" handles -- many of these are made out of hickory or ash, both of which make excellent walking stick wood. You mentioned buying them, but it might be a good idea to find a woods that is available for your scouts to harvest their own; although drying time will have to be considered a part of the process, however, one of the best hiking sticks I ever made, I made while on a long hike and still use it to this day 25 years later.

#3 NightKnight

NightKnight

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Welcome to the site! I would stick with a harder wood, like oak. Many dowels are made out of birch, which is a softer wood, relativity speaking. I also would think that 1" may be too small for an adults hand. That might just be my opinion though.

#4 Lewey

Lewey

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationPulaski Tn

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Welcome to the site. 

I second Rad on the suggestion to go to the woods and have them cut their own.  This would make a fun outing and get them a good hiking stick at the same time.  I went out this weekend with my daughter to look for sticks.  (It's a good time right now because the sticks have less sap).  We found some good dogwoods and Osage Orange.  I also found a small persimmon with a vine wrapped around it and it has the makings of another snake stick.  These will need to dry for a while before I work on them but you don't have to let them dry out. I've made a few from green wood that I still use even though they developed a few cracks over the years.  Still quite functional.

If you want to buy something ready made, you might try a farm supply store and look for good hardwood handles for hoes or shovels.  We have a perpetual flea market where I live that always has a few vendors selling hardwood handles for everything from hoes, to picks to axes to hammers.

#5 JJireh

JJireh

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationChristiana, Tn

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

What is your location?  There are sometimes local suppliers that harvest sticks for just this type of thing.

Here is a guy on another forum I frequent

http://www.kywalking...lankSticks.html

#6 ValenciaClay

ValenciaClay

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Thank you for your reponses ! We live in southern california, so to get to the woods is a few hours drive for us. Our local terrain is chapparal. Plus with (30) 1-5th graders, I think for this project its best to supply them with a stick to start. JJireh, I will contact Kentucky Walking sticks. Thx Again. Kind Regards, Clay

#7 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Thank you for this thread.

1. The link to the guy who supports scouting is useful.
2. As a geologist, I now have ideas for a future stick that incorporates measuring marks which I can use to measure outcropping "beds" or layers of rock hen I go on educational field trips.

When some of my curing sticks are made into walking sticks, one will be my field trip stick.

#8 boxwoodruler

boxwoodruler

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Here is an ebay link for 1"x48" ash dowels at $1.25 each plus shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item27b5a9b178

#9 boxwoodruler

boxwoodruler

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

1x48 walnut

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a7e81c334

#10 boxwoodruler

boxwoodruler