#1 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1126 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

Our physician of nearly 30 years will retire at the end of this year.  He also likes long walks, and he uses a walking stick.

My final appointment with him was this morning.  I took with me several examples of what I've done, as well as photos of sticks that I have made for family members.  He was most touched and accepted my offer to make him a good stick.

It figures that amongst the sticks that I showed him and the photos, that his favorite was the diamond willow stick that I made for my daughter-in-law.  I anticipated that, and I have been looking all over the internet for diamond willow sticks.  I found a lot, but none were as beautiful as the one that I hand picked at a woodcarver's show here and finished for my daughter.

This Doc is one of a vanishing breed, who puts the well being of his patients above all else.  We will miss him, although he gave me his cell phone number and has told my wife and me that he thinks of us more as friends than patients.  I expect that we will see more of him next year.

So, my question is, what is the source of the best quality stock of diamond willow that you have seen?  Doc is interested in about a 60" length, and that's shorter than the one I made my daughter-in-law but longer than most that I see advertised.  I'm frustrated that I can't see an online photo that compares with the first one I purchased.

Do you think I need to buck up and drive to some trade show?

Thanks.

http://walkingstickf...-in-law-1-of-3/

#2 Rad

Rad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts
  • LocationHolmes County, Ohio

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

CAS: swipe your daughter inlaws and make her a new one latter! :-)

#3 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1126 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

CAS: swipe your daughter inlaws and make her a new one latter! :-)

Not a bad idea.  I can whip her.  But I have to sleep sometime!  ;-)

I just took a flyer, nothing to lose but money, and ordered three from Itasca Wood Products.  I volunteered to pay extra if he would go out and hand pick the best three in his stock.  That upped the price to $30 each for six-foot sticks, not including shipping.  Three will go in the same box as one, although the weight is more.  These are kiln dried.  When I get them I will post photos and comment.

Need to get started on this, as Doc retires effective end-of-year.

Need to find a brass caudecus emblem to embed on his stick, that's the M.D. symbol.  Found plastic crap, and some brass ones too large.  I should be able to find this.

#4 Rad

Rad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:48 AM

Keep us updated! With pictures of course! :-)

#5 boxwoodruler

boxwoodruler

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

I find that ebay is about the best place to find any wood!

http://r.ebay.com/H8RdA2

#6 CAS14

CAS14

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1126 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:11 AM

I just took a flyer, nothing to lose but money, and ordered three from Itasca Wood Products.  I volunteered to pay extra if he would go out and hand pick the best three in his stock.  That upped the price to $30 each for six-foot sticks, not including shipping.  Three will go in the same box as one, although the weight is more.  These are kiln dried.  When I get them I will post photos and comment.

Need to get started on this, as Doc retires effective end-of-year.

Need to find a brass caudecus emblem to embed on his stick, that's the M.D. symbol.  Found plastic crap, and some brass ones too large.  I should be able to find this.

Wood Products threw in a little fourth stick as a bonus. Maybe okay for a grandkid. The best was great. Cut down. Sanded mostly. Ferrule installed. Caudecus emblem here. Need to use Dremel to smooth out some of the reddish altered recessed areas.

Okay, an epiphany. I made a "non-traditional" shillelagh in honor of my grandad. A week ago, I walked 2 1/2 miles two times on the weekend. It was too large at the grip and became very uncomfortable. So, with that knowledge, tonight I sanded down the grip area to a comfortable diameter. Each stick to date has provided a learning opportunity.

#7 Rad

Rad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

Ya live and learn! I think part of it has to do with what your using the stick for -- I find that when I need one for hobbling around because my hip is acting up I like the larger grip, but if your cruising down the street a smaller grip ia preferable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users