#1 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:15 PM

After nearly15 years of using a slowly dying Dell desktop running Windows XP I've upgraded to a shiny, new, and much faster laptop. Bit of a learning curve and I'm still in the middle of moving everything from the old to the new so I haven't been around the last couple days. I'm hoping for several years of use before I have to do this again.

#2 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2773 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:24 PM

Congratulations. I up graded my computer last year. I am also hoping it will last a few years. A friend who is a computer engineer says it should be good for a good while with the built in extra memory, room to grow with up grades. My grandson knows a lot more than I do. He is who I call when I am lost. 

#3 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:25 AM

Thanks Randy.  It was definitely time.  This one is on the lower end of the performance and price scale but it's still the fastest one I've used.  15 years is a long time in computer years.

• CV3 likes this

#4 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:11 PM

Congrats and/or sympathies. I dread the day this one I'm using now craps out. It was a bit of a nightmare just switching to Chrome from IE. Probably have to get my niece to give me a hand.

#5 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:01 PM

Right now more of a nightmare.  I'm currently typing on my old computer.  The new one came with a solid state drive that I needed to install myself.  It's supposed to be about 5 times faster than a standard hard drive.  Waiting for pages to load is about as exciting as waiting for sticks to dry.  

I followed the manufacturer's instructions and managed to hose it up anyway  All was well up until the BIOS didn't recognize that a new drive was installed.  I tried everything in my (limited) capacity that I could to get it to work (probably made matters worse).   I ended up taking it to a computer shop to fix it.  I pick it up Monday.

Sad thing is after repairs are paid for I could have taken that same money and bought a better computer that didn't need fiddled with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users