Need way to make cane longer ... - General Walking Stick Discussion - Walking Stick Forum

Close
Photo
- - - - -

Need way to make cane longer ...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 floyddd

floyddd

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:03 PM

I am fortunate enough to own one of the best-looking canes I know of -- the head is based on one Lalique made for the last Czar of Russia -- but due to various medical needs, I can't use it at its current length.  Need to add four inches or so to it.  I'm thinking perhaps a sleeve around a dowel at the bottom of the shaft but I'm not sure.  Thoughts, anyone?  Along w/ resources for the parts if possible?  Thanks!

Attached a few photos of this beauty.  Two of them show the topper before it was attached, but now that it's on the cane, I don't see any easy way of getting it off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191003_090840.jpg
  • 20191001_063717.jpg
  • 20190820_113007.jpg
  • 20190820_113016.jpg

#2 CV3

CV3

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2773 posts
  • LocationMobile Alabama (USA)

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:03 AM

Hello floyddd. If you have not attached the topper to the shaft permanently I would recommend getting a new shaft. It looks like a 1inch or 1 1/8th in shaft. you can order those in a variety of woods in 36" and 48" dowels and cut it to fit. Woodcraft sells them. If you have to us the on you have adding the length  below the topper not on th bottom and I would use althread not a dowel.

Edited by CV3, 10 December 2019 - 05:05 AM.

#3 floyddd

floyddd

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:08 PM

unfortunately, the topper is solidly attached to the shaft and i can see no way of getting it off.  given that, do i have any options?

#4 jno

jno

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

I had exactly the same problem. I thought of simply joining a short section to the bottom of the cane, using a threaded rod and epoxy. But it would probably be too noticeable, and would certainly create a weak spot, prone to breakage. In the end, I cut off the topper (like yours, it formed a "socket" for the stick) and drilled, gouged, and finally ground out the remnant of the shaft and adhesive, being very careful not to mar the surface of the topper. Then I attached it to a new shaft of appropriate length. It was a shame to waste a very attractive stick, but the thing was of no use as it was.

Edited by jno, 13 December 2019 - 06:54 PM.

#5 floyddd

floyddd

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

ah well, i might have to go that route, too.  thanks for the reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users