Started working on this one yesterday after putting the first coat of poly on the ash loop crook. It is an exposed root I found a couple of years ago coming off an apple tree which is leaning very badly.
You can probably see from the pic of the root why I just couldn't pass on collecting it. An almost perfect crook just as I found it. The only down sides to this one are a large rot area on one side and the nose really isn't in alignment with where it will connect with the shank. The alignment problem I can fix since there is plenty of material there, but the rot is going to be tricky. There is enough meat there to just cut it all away, but I think it will be too thin for a pleasing look. I could fill it with shavings and glue or resin which is looking like the way I'll go with it.
Just for fun, I worked the nose down and gave it a quick sanding. Looks like it is going to be a beauty.