#1 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:29 AM

Today was the start of tree trimming around the old homestead. This year several of the trees on the property were in need of some major work. I have finally convinced the wife that trees do benefit from removing lower branches and raising the crown. She has always liked the "natural" look of tree branches sweeping to the ground, but it just not practical in an urban setting. I have been nearly knocked unconscious or had an eye poked out riding the mower under the low hanging limbs! 

So with much moaning (from the spouse) I was allowed to go to work with my Echo.  I have now laid in a nice stock of wood for sticks and handles. So far I have put away Crab Apple, Red Maple, Silver Maple, Norway Maple, Pin Oak, River Birch, Cotton Wood, and Linden.  We also have a Black Cherry, a Shagbark Hickory and a Shingle Oak that still need attention plus a dying Box elder and a dead White ash that need to come down.  (Hoping to find some of that "flame" in the box elder.)  

As we looked at each tree and decided which limbs needed to go I envisioned what I could do with them. Made the trimming easier to swallow for the bride knowing her beloved trees will live on as walking sticks or wood carvings. 

#2 LilysDad

LilysDad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationDeKalb Co. IL

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

So far I have put away Crab Apple, Red Maple, Silver Maple, Norway Maple, Pin Oak, River Birch, Cotton Wood, and Linden.  We also have a Black Cherry, a Shagbark Hickory and a Shingle Oak that still need attention plus a dying Box elder and a dead White ash that need to come down. 

You must live in a veritable forest!!!

• MJC4 likes this

#3 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

Nice!  I pruned a couple lower branches from our dogwood tree last summer.  I got a couple cane handles and some other smaller material for spacers from it.  Nice wood.  Fine grained, dense and it's pink.   My didn't think it was funny when I told her I wanted to get more from it.

• MJC4 likes this

#4 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

So far I have put away Crab Apple, Red Maple, Silver Maple, Norway Maple, Pin Oak, River Birch, Cotton Wood, and Linden.  We also have a Black Cherry, a Shagbark Hickory and a Shingle Oak that still need attention plus a dying Box elder and a dead White ash that need to come down.

You must live in a veritable forest!!!

An urban woods anyway. 35 years ago when we moved onto this property nature had planted a sprinkling of hardwoods. The wife and I had a vision of living in a woodland so we started planting trees. At last count we had added 40 more. With lots of fertilizer and supplemental water we have accomplished our goal!

#5 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

I did the same thing last fall. She doesn't do the mowing so has no idea how much of a pain in the...posterior... it is to have to try to get past low hanging branches.

• MJC4 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users