4 replies to this topic

#1 RetroJoe

RetroJoe

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

Hello to all!

I have owed this stick for many years, so many that I don't remember where I purchased it! I would like to purchase another one like it, as it is 48", somewhat lightweight, and the wood is soft enough to tack medallions onto relatively easily. It resembles Yucca, but not exactly. I would appreciate any input as to what the material is so that I may seek another one at 54" - 60". Thanks in advance for any info.27968829877_4211077970_b.jpg41027166260_02efeda563_b.jpg

#2 MJC4

MJC4

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts
  • LocationNW Indiana

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:46 PM

Welcome RetroJoe
Very difficult to I.D. types of wood from pictures. Your stick could be almost anything. I would not want to hazard a guess. Sorry I cannot be of more help. Perhaps another forum member might have some insight.
Mark

#3 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

The dots seem to be in a spiral pattern.

Possibly date palm but I really don't know.

date palm cane.jpg

This image was lifted from the net.  The shank was made from the stem that the dates grow on.  Most are left rough like this one but you might get a look similar to yours if it was smooth.

#4 LilysDad

LilysDad

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • LocationDeKalb Co. IL

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

If it was a store bought dowel, it could be any one of a number of foreign woods.

#5 littleknife

littleknife

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

I can only guess, the sections are very small and the surface is too reflective due to the finish.

Some of the darker spots might be due to stains, or remaining of charred or nitric acid-treated wood.

If so, this might be a Chinese made stick.

I have seen similar looking sticks made in China from relatively soft woods, like:

1.) "bianbai wood":  typically identified as Platycladus orientalis, or Chinese arborvitae.

Most of those sticks had more pronounced knots though.

2.) some sort of willow. Most willow sticks though were typically gnarled, however I have seen a few which had smooth, straight sections too.

Some sellers in the USA used to advertise these willow sticks as "rattan sticks".

Now they swithched to "vine wood", another misnomer:

http://www.black-bea...king-stick.html

These sticks are soft too.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users