• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:08 PM

I have a elk antler I want to mount to a hickory cane I carved from an axe handle. I have all the soft marrow dremeled out and some extra passages drilled for contact points. My question is the depth is only 3/4 inch I am trying to figure if it be strong enough with two metal rod epoxied in or should I use a metal putty? I can drill down into the wood as far as I need too. I was trying to think of maybe a leather wrap or paracord wrap for extra strength? Or some copper bent over it? Or will epoxy and rod be strong enough? Suggestions? The hole in antler is 1/2 x 2 x 3/4 835a2b480e4f2de75b2cad9064bc9382.jpg5532ed5168ba83152c221298b72a6167.jpg Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by [email protected], 26 August 2018 - 07:09 PM.

#2 Deltaboy84

Deltaboy84

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:09 PM

It should be fine!

#3 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 27 August 2018 - 03:58 PM

I haven't used any of the putties so I don't know how well they stick two things together. I can see why you would want putty to fill the cavity though. One option would be regular epoxy with a filler like sawdust mixed in.  The epoxy will still be able to flow into the cavities and around the fasteners unlike a putty that would have to be forced in. I would use threaded rods or rough up smooth ones to increase the mechanical bond on them.   You have a large enough cavity and enough contact surface you don't need to worry about any kind of strap to hold things together.

It will be a neat cane when you're done.  Please post a finished picture too.

#4 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:42 PM

I ended up using 3500lbs clear Gorilla Epoxy. Then I made a spacer outta maple I had. I added two screws and epoxied to the antler for extra strength. Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

#5 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

I then did the same on the other side and drilled matching holes in the hickory. I figured Between the threaded rod and the screw heads with epoxy all around them they would never pull out. I also added a maple chuck to end of antler. All is left is the sculpting.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:49 PM

Blended all the parts and now I need to finish sand and try to figure out what stain to use on the hickory. The maple I will try my best to leave natural.Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

Looks great! The spalting of the maple spacer compliments the antler nicely.

#8 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

Well got the minwax stain on. 10 min soak then wipe off. I did use their stain preconditioner. All that is left is poly. Posted Image

#9 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:10 PM

Looks really good!  I like the spalting on the maple as well as your carving.  Really nice job!

Rodney

#10 Deltaboy84

Deltaboy84

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:16 AM

Fine Wood Working!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users