#1 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:38 PM

OK, so now that I'm thoroughly confused I'll post the question here. I have read so much about using Waterlox, Minwax and Formby's tung oil finishes over oil based stain. All of the reviews say each is better than the others and all say each is crap with little or no tung oil in the product at all. What's your favorite?

#2 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

I like the Minwax brand.  I doubt it has a lot of tung oil in it.  It dries hard. Ace Hardware carries Minwax.

I tried the Watco brand and it doesn't dry as hard and doesn't build up to a good shine as well as Minwax. Ironically I suspect the Watco brand has more actual Tung oil in it. Home Depot carries the Watco.

Unless the can says 100% Tung Oil the product will most likely be more wiping varnish than Tung oil.

#3 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:12 PM

I was going to try the Minwax but when I look it up at Lowes it says Minwax but the label is Formby's. I was also thinking of using Minwax Polyshades on the shafts so staining and polyurethane would be one step. I've had success with it before. Also wasn't sure if I could use the tung oil over either stain or stain/polyurethane.

#4 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

Pretty sure you can't use it over poly. Let us know how the polyshades works out. Poly has pretty much been my go to finish but I've never tried the tinted versions.

#5 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:02 PM

I read that on the can. Says not to use tung oil after any poly, varnish ect... only oil based stain or on it's own without stain. The one I'm working on now (oak shaft with brass handle) will be just regular oil stain then Formbys tung oil. The next one I'll try with polyshades. 

So the formula seems to be:

tung oil only to show off bare wood grain

or

oil stain followed by tung oil to deep color and accentuate wood grain

or 

oil stain followed by poly or another varnish to deep color and accentuate wood grain

or

oil stain impregnated with polyurethane to deep color and accentuate wood grain

I'll eventually try all three, leaving the tung oil only for some really exotic wood cane shafts.

#6 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:56 PM

OK, lesson learned. I either have to wait longer than 12 hours for the oil stain to cure or put on more than 2 coats before using Formbys tung oil. Apparently if the stain is not cured enough or thick enough the tung oil removes some of the stain color. Especially significant when using black and not wanting any tan wood color to show through. I kind of made an antiqued slightly "distressed" look which may eventually work out. Also, since the faux ivory is a type of polymer it does not absorb the tung oil but does get a somewhat glossy finish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users