#11 Peterp

Peterp

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:08 PM

20151004_163608.jpg here is an example of my early work with bone, first year of making knives. 

Stole my dogs bone for this project...dont worry got him a new one. 

#12 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:20 AM

Very nice work. As of this time I don't have a band saw or sander to create the parts I need out of bone. I don't even have a lathe to round it. Cutting length, and sanding to correct finished size is all I can do right now That is going to change very soon though. My friend and I just scored a late model Shopsmith with the lathe with some simple tools, band saw, scroll saw, table saw, belt and disc sanders all in near mint condition for $400!!! Normally a setup like that would run between $1500-1800. Seller is another friend who got it real cheap but doesn't have the time to use it much.

• Peterp likes this

#13 Peterp

Peterp

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:17 PM

Very nice work. As of this time I don't have a band saw or sander to create the parts I need out of bone. I don't even have a lathe to round it. Cutting length, and sanding to correct finished size is all I can do right now That is going to change very soon though. My friend and I just scored a late model Shopsmith with the lathe with some simple tools, band saw, scroll saw, table saw, belt and disc sanders all in near mint condition for $400!!! Normally a setup like that would run between $1500-1800. Seller is another friend who got it real cheap but doesn't have the time to use it much.

Sweet Deal! I have been looking for one to, but they are so dam expensive. 

#14 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:56 PM

Sweet deal with that many accessories. Shopsmith still provides excellent support for most of their machines, even the early models. Parts and accessories are easily available. Ebay is also generally a good source for parts.

I have a green Mark V from either 1953 or 54 that's still going strong.  I mostly use it as a drill press these days. I also like the ability to set it up for horizontal boring. The disc sander option is really nice too.  I expect your bandsaw will be getting a workout as well.

Ken you can do a lot with a couple decent files and rasps for shaping handles.  That's what I use on mine. The bandsaw is for roughing them out.  A block plane is nice to have for shanks. 

Also you might want to keep your eyes open for a good deal on a 1" belt sander.  I know I am.

#15 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 March 2019 - 01:47 AM

I have my eye on this 1" belt sander from Grizzly. http://www.grizzly.c...bo-Sander/H6070 Fathers Day is coming soon!

#16 Peterp

Peterp

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:26 AM

this is what I got for making knives, I replace the grinder wheel for a buffing wheel. 

https://www.princess...der/A-p8532285e

#17 thesilversmith

thesilversmith

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:16 AM

I love this material...

I was asked to turn two new imitation ivory handles for an antique gold bowl. I used Elforyn Super Tusk for the material. These handles are only 1.115" in length, and I knew they were going to be difficult to turn on my 9" lathe. After drilling the holes in the turned-down rods, I used 4-40 threaded rod and secured the blanks with matching hunts. In order to keep the rod from spinning out of control, I drilled a hole in hardwood the same diameter as the rod and mounted it in my tail stock. One more thing: since my tool rest was too long to fit in such a small space, I cut a thick piece of aluminum that would make the perfect size table to rest my cutting tools. Pictured is the original ivory handle in front of the reproduction. The final image displays the ivory-style grain in the Super Tusk.

Attached Thumbnails

• turning1.jpg
  • turning2.jpg
  • turning3.jpg
  • turning4.jpg

Edited by thesilversmith, 08 August 2020 - 05:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users