#1 Peterp

Peterp

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

Hey Guys, so took a chance yesterday to go out to the beach and see what winter washed up to shore...but found more of a mountain of ice ...so i looked in other directions and saw that alot of branches from trees in the park have been brocken off by high winds. so before starting to rumage trough all of it i decided to go to the park office and ask permision. The office staff where more than happy to let me go crazy and take as many branches and fallen wood i could carry.  so with that said i have no idea what i picked up but see alot of potential with some pieces. can any of you guys tell me what type of wood i got? 

cheers 

20190316_185744.jpg 20190316_185703.jpg 20190316_183046.jpg 20190316_185711.jpg 20190316_183020.jpg

#2 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 17 March 2019 - 09:26 PM

The bits look quite maple-ish to me but hard to say without having the piece in front of me. I think your best bet would be to go back to the park where you found them once the leaves are out and see what species are there.
  • Peterp likes this

#3 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

I agree with Dana. The advice to go back after they leaf out is good.  It will be easier to tell what the trees are then. Picture 2 looks like maple.  The end piece will give you some nice curly figure on the inside bend if you can keep that area when you finish the stick. 

Maple and ash branches grow opposed to each other from the main branch unless one is damaged.  There might be other species with that growth habit too.

This hobby will change the way you look at trees. I find myself constantly looking for potential sticks in them.

• Peterp likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users