#1 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

A few of the ones I've been working on recently. In the group photo, the light one in the middle is ash, the rest are maple. The first two are simple root sticks with the roots trimmed flush. Some nice grain birdseyes on them. The third was a branch as I recall, which had broken off and a sucker took over. Fourth is the ash root stick. It had a large damaged spot where a fir tree had fallen against it some time ago. Made for an interesting shape, though. Fifth is a maple root stick where I've left the roots long. after trimming some and removing others I found the handle was quite comfortable; almost like the root had grown around my hand. Last one is maple and had a lot of weird growths on it. I see them once in a while but this one was loaded. I usually file them smooth, but decided to leave them this time. Instead of sanding to get to the under bark, I used a wire wheel in a hand drill. Some before pics of them too.

Attached Thumbnails

• 072.JPG
  • 031.JPG
  • 065.JPG
  • 069.JPG

Edited by dww2, 26 March 2019 - 04:54 PM.

• RandyL476 and norson like this

#2 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:56 PM

Only four pics are showing for some reason so here's the rest. A close up of the maple root stick and how it fits my hand

Attached Thumbnails

• 070.JPG
  • 074.JPG
  • 075.JPG
  • 073.JPG

Edited by dww2, 26 March 2019 - 05:00 PM.

#3 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 27 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

I think that's bordering on several.  You've been busy. That one with all the roots is neat.  It doesn't look like a hand would fit in there yet it's obvious it does.

#4 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:25 AM

Yeah I guess I need to work on my counting skills. The weather is finally allowing me some shop time nearly every afternoon. And the root sticks don't take very long to do since I'm not adding anything to the stick but taking things away. Sometimes figuring out what to take off takes longer than actually doing it. The gf actually agreed that that one with the long roots was comfy. She uses a cane so I usually bring them in after initial shaping to have her try them too.

#5 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:15 PM

I've noticed that with hiking sticks and the very few one piece sticks I've made.  They don't take long at all compared to what I normally make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users