#1 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

Finished these two recently. The first is my take on the Bat Masterson cane. Beech shaft with black and clear lacquer. Figured silver (chrome) was more appropriate than the gold version online since 1) a gold topped cane would have made you a target for every low life out there to steal it and 2) silver was more readily available to smiths and artists. I also found some great cone shaped brass feet. the inside is straight so you only need to cut a straight tenon to fit them.  the other cane is an oak shaft and an unknown handle. Now that I have a band saw I tried my first wooden handle. The handle material was a block of unknown wood found in a junk pile.

100_2067.JPG 100_2068.JPG 100_2069.JPG 100_2070.JPG

Edited by KenVA, 06 June 2019 - 07:46 PM.

#2 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:03 PM

Pretty sweet canes, KenVA. That second one has some interesting colors to it in the handle. Like some maple or ash laminated with cherry maybe. Pretty cool!

#3 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

Might be maple but it's not laminated. It comes from a solid 4" x 4" a friend of mine found during a house demolition. Wish I had some more of it. I would love to turn a knob handle out of this wood.

#4 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

Nice job on the canes Ken.

#5 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:02 PM

Wow! Cool wood then whatever it is. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a piece of that myself! Maybe ambrosia maple. I know it can have a lot of red streaking in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users