3 replies to this topic

#1 Walker

Walker

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLe Mars, Iowa

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

I want to make a cane by laminating a light and dark wood.  Maybe birch and walnut.  I plan on strips about 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick. I also want to steam bend the handle to form a crook style.  Any ideas on what wood is easier to steam bend?

Thanks,

#2 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:20 PM

I've done some bending.  Walnut bends well.  I haven't tried birch.  For a tight bend like a cane handle keep your strips at 1/8" or less.

Less is easier.  Use straight grained wood. 

Build GOOD forms and sand them.  Lumps and bumps will show.  Wax your form or line it with something so you don't glue the cane to the form.

Have a helper and plenty of clamps.  You'll need to work fast and extra hands will help.

What I do is bend my pieces and let them dry in the form for at least a few days.  After they're dry I take them apart, glue them up, and put them back in the form until they're dry.

#3 dww2

dww2

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

Can't really add much to what Rodney wrote other than to say that your gluing surfaces should be flat as possible. Every little gap will show when you start shaping. Ash supposedly bends well as does oak.

Edited by dww2, 26 June 2019 - 08:09 AM.

#4 Walker

Walker

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLe Mars, Iowa

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

Thanks guys. I need to build a steam chamber, then get to work.  Might use oak for the light colored wood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users