#1 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:12 PM

Note to self...no matter how old and rock hard a pine 2 x 4 seems it is NOT good handle material!  LOL. Shaped a great fritz handle today out of an old 2 x 4. And by old I mean it was actually cut 2" x 4". Seemed rock hard and came from an old construction demo, I mean you could probably kill a bear with it. I attached it to a shaft, shaped it all to fit nice then leaned my weight on it.... SNAP! Oh well... live and learn.

#2 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

Where did you have the dowel?  If it's not up into to the horizontal part of the handle it will break.  Also, you want plain sawn wood whenever possible for handles that way the growth rings run up and down on the ends instead of left and right.  Wood tends to be easier to split along the rings.  Old hard pine should work I would think though I generally use just hardwoods.

#3 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:44 PM

No dowel to pin them. I use a 3/8 screw with the the head cut off then ground to a double end. It snapped at the rear end of the handle though, no where near the joint.

#4 Rodney

Rodney

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 1925 posts
  • LocationCentralia, Washington

Posted 07 July 2019 - 05:04 PM

Weird. Certainly not a construction problem or grain orientation issue then.  Hidden fault?

#5 KenVA

KenVA

Advanced Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:31 PM

It may have been a grain problem, or a hidden fault. either way, I'm going to stick to hardwoods. I have a nice piece of cocobolo on it's way here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users